Which newsreader to you Mac guys use?
Marcus I. Valdes
2004-09-17 02:02:01 UTC
Hey there,

I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?

Thanks,
Marcus
Oxford
2004-09-17 02:48:57 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
i think most people are in agreeance, MT-Newswatcher 3.4 is the
newsreader of choice on osx.
Timberwoof
2004-09-17 03:05:50 UTC
Post by Oxford
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
i think most people are in agreeance, MT-Newswatcher 3.4 is the
newsreader of choice on osx.
Either people are in agreeance or they just plain agree.
--
Timberwoof <me at timberwoof dot com> http://www.timberwoof.com
Otto: "Haha! Apes do not read philosophy!"
Wanda: "Yes, they do. They just don't understand it."
Invid Fan
2004-09-17 03:34:32 UTC
Post by Oxford
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
i think most people are in agreeance, MT-Newswatcher 3.4 is the
newsreader of choice on osx.
I use the shareware Thoth, but the creator apparently had another snit
and pulled it.
-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
Nigel Crompton
2004-09-17 10:41:47 UTC
Post by Oxford
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
i think most people are in agreeance, MT-Newswatcher 3.4 is the
newsreader of choice on osx.
While we're on the subject, has anyone managed to get Unison 1.5.1 to
work? I just downloaded it but get refused when I attempt to load a
newsgroup into the Favourites and when I do open a newsgroup it gravely
downloads something but nothing appears on my screen. Very odd.
Nigel C ....(rearrange address for email)
StormDrain
2004-09-17 13:53:09 UTC
Post by Nigel Crompton
Post by Oxford
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
i think most people are in agreeance, MT-Newswatcher 3.4 is the
newsreader of choice on osx.
While we're on the subject, has anyone managed to get Unison 1.5.1 to
work? I just downloaded it but get refused when I attempt to load a
newsgroup into the Favourites and when I do open a newsgroup it gravely
downloads something but nothing appears on my screen. Very odd.
I have 1.5 working. You may want to check/post to the mac.apps group,
one of the Unison guys monitors it and responds sometimes.
--
SD
"...merely a preponderance of evidence."
John
2004-09-17 03:56:43 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
I used Mozilla Thunderbird available free of charge. Reminds me of a fine
Windows application without tons of separate windows that most of the Mac
newsreaders have.
Marcus Valdes
2004-09-17 04:02:56 UTC
Well, after posting, I found Unison. Seems pretty nice. I'm going to
try newswatcher as well. Thanks for your input. This is a heck of a
lot nicer than Forte Free Agent which I used with the PC.

Marcus
Bob Holbert
2004-09-17 10:14:12 UTC
Post by Marcus Valdes
Well, after posting, I found Unison. Seems pretty nice. I'm going to
try newswatcher as well. Thanks for your input. This is a heck of a
lot nicer than Forte Free Agent which I used with the PC.
Marcus
Unison was the only one I could be bothered sticking with - wish I
could work out how to flag messages so that they are easy to find on
returning to the group.

Bob
StormDrain
2004-09-17 13:47:40 UTC
Post by Marcus Valdes
Well, after posting, I found Unison. Seems pretty nice. I'm going to
try newswatcher as well. Thanks for your input. This is a heck of a
lot nicer than Forte Free Agent which I used with the PC.
Marcus
I use both of them. I really like the way Unison presents, downloads
and stores binary files (music, images etc.) MT is great for text based
groups, easy to navigate and filter. Since I've moved to DSL I don't
need the offline readers anymore. Lotsa variety in the Mac world.
George Graves
2004-09-17 04:06:19 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
NewsWatcher 3.4.
--
George Graves
------------------

Every guy owes himself at least one Ferrari before he dies
Snit
Wow... Steve will be mad that I am not the only one. :)
Snit
2004-09-17 04:44:32 UTC
Post by John
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks, Marcus
I used Mozilla Thunderbird available free of charge. Reminds me of
a fine Windows application without tons of separate windows that most
of the Mac newsreaders have.
It works a lot like Entourage... my newsreader of choice... which is,
oddly enough, a MS program.
I agree with John, I prefer having everything in one window.
Jim Polaski
2004-09-17 05:25:51 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Thanks,
Marcus
Tried others but I've come back to NewsWatcher 3.4 as the best.
--
Regards,
JP
knowing he will get nothing in return"
Patrick Nihill
2004-09-17 08:02:31 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
No one else has mentioned it yet so I'll throw in a vote for MacSoup.
It's got a very different interface from most other newsreaders, but I
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
Peter Hayes
2004-09-17 09:29:17 UTC
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
No one else has mentioned it yet so I'll throw in a vote for MacSoup.
It's got a very different interface from most other newsreaders, but I
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
I'm on dialup and need an offline newsreader. After trying all the
newsreaders I could find, MacSoup seemed to be the best of the few
offline readers.

I've never had much luck with Pan. It always seemed to 'lose' posts,
that's with both the Linux and Windows versions. The Mac version needs
Fink and I've never got around to installing it.
Peter
GreyCloud
2004-09-17 17:02:15 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
No one else has mentioned it yet so I'll throw in a vote for MacSoup.
It's got a very different interface from most other newsreaders, but I
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
I'm on dialup and need an offline newsreader. After trying all the
newsreaders I could find, MacSoup seemed to be the best of the few
offline readers.
I've never had much luck with Pan. It always seemed to 'lose' posts,
that's with both the Linux and Windows versions. The Mac version needs
Fink and I've never got around to installing it.
I'm in the process of getting slrn for OS X set up. It's running but I
have to read the docs to customize it to my needs. The download
includes slrnpull for off line reading.
--
---------------------------------
The Golden Years Sux.
Steve Mackay
2004-09-17 19:29:49 UTC
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
No one else has mentioned it yet so I'll throw in a vote for MacSoup.
It's got a very different interface from most other newsreaders, but I
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
Yup. And I like the fact that pan works on _everything_ I use. Linux,
Windows, IRIX and OSX.
GreyCloud
2004-09-17 21:56:01 UTC
Post by Steve Mackay
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
No one else has mentioned it yet so I'll throw in a vote for MacSoup.
It's got a very different interface from most other newsreaders, but I
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
Yup. And I like the fact that pan works on _everything_ I use. Linux,
Windows, IRIX and OSX.
Where can I get pan for OSX.3?
I've already got slrn, but I'm still in the process of configuring it.
Once configured, it is said to be the best at filtering posters, and
scoring them.
--
---------------------------------
The Golden Years Sux.
Steve Mackay
You need to use Apple's X11, and download via FINK.
GreyCloud
2004-09-18 03:02:03 UTC
Post by Steve Mackay
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Steve Mackay
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
No one else has mentioned it yet so I'll throw in a vote for MacSoup.
It's got a very different interface from most other newsreaders, but I
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
Yup. And I like the fact that pan works on _everything_ I use. Linux,
Windows, IRIX and OSX.
Where can I get pan for OSX.3?
I've already got slrn, but I'm still in the process of configuring it.
Once configured, it is said to be the best at filtering posters, and
scoring them.
You need to use Apple's X11, and download via FINK.
Ok, I'll give pan a try. I've heard that Pan under Linux has a few
problems still, so I don't know if it works correctly under OS X.
--
---------------------------------
The Golden Years Sux.
Rick
2004-09-18 09:53:54 UTC
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Steve Mackay
Post by GreyCloud
Post by Steve Mackay
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
[...]
As long as the supporting libs are installed, you should be able to DL the
tarbal from Pan's page and then compile/install.
Rick
C Lund
2004-09-17 08:43:48 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
MT-NewsWatcher 3.4
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Thanks,
Marcus
C Lund, www.notam02.no/~clund
Patrick Nihill
2004-09-17 09:50:23 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
I'm on dialup and need an offline newsreader. After trying all the
newsreaders I could find, MacSoup seemed to be the best of the few
offline readers.
You can actually turn any online-only reader effectively into an
offline reader using leafnode. It's a small, low-end news server that
you can use to download messages, go offline and then read news by
pointing your newsreader at the leafnode server on your own computer.

Works well. Not difficult to set up, but it is done via the command
line.

<snip>
Peter Hayes
2004-09-17 12:45:29 UTC
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
think it's excellent. If you prefer the Agent-style 3-pane readers,
I've found Pan to be the best, and it runs well in OS X.
I'm on dialup and need an offline newsreader. After trying all the
newsreaders I could find, MacSoup seemed to be the best of the few
offline readers.
You can actually turn any online-only reader effectively into an
offline reader using leafnode. It's a small, low-end news server that
you can use to download messages, go offline and then read news by
pointing your newsreader at the leafnode server on your own computer.
Does it need Fink installed?
Post by Patrick Nihill
Works well. Not difficult to set up, but it is done via the command
line.
Yes, I used leafnode with KNode on Linux and it worked fine.

It'd be nice to run KNode on OS X.
Peter
Nigel Crompton
2004-09-17 10:15:46 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
I'd suggest you trot on over to Macupdate or VersionTracker, do a search
for "news reader", scan down the offerings and try them out. Mac users
cheerfully dabble with the possibilities without any fears of their OS
being trashed, even by share or free-ware.

Personally I use MT NewsWatcher 3.4. It's not the flashest application
but it has a long heritage and I'm comfortable with it's quaint ways
Nigel C ....(rearrange address for email)
Patrick Nihill
2004-09-17 13:12:33 UTC
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader
do
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
you
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
It's got a very different interface from most other
newsreaders,
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
but I
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
you can use to download messages, go offline and then read news by
pointing your newsreader at the leafnode server on your own
computer.
Post by Peter Hayes
Does it need Fink installed?
No, it compiles fine from source as I recall.
Post by Peter Hayes
Post by Patrick Nihill
Works well. Not difficult to set up, but it is done via the command
line.
Yes, I used leafnode with KNode on Linux and it worked fine.
It'd be nice to run KNode on OS X.
I noticed last night that KNode is in the list of unstable packages for
Fink. Don't know how well it currently works or whether it would be
worth your while installing Fink just so you could find out. I prefer
Pan to it when running Linux anyway.
digitaleon
2004-09-18 13:49:28 UTC
To comp.sys.mac.advocacy subscribers,
Post by Patrick Nihill
Post by Peter Hayes
Yes, I used leafnode with KNode on Linux and it worked fine.
It'd be nice to run KNode on OS X.
I noticed last night that KNode is in the list of unstable packages for
Fink. Don't know how well it currently works or whether it would be
worth your while installing Fink just so you could find out. I prefer
Pan to it when running Linux anyway.
KNode works, and works nicely using the Fink/XWindows/KDE combination. I
was using that until recently.
Cameron Kaiser
2004-09-17 13:59:22 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Well, I'm happiest at a Unix shell, so I compiled nn and use that. Probably
not the droid, er, answer you're looking for.

--
Cameron Kaiser * ***@floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/
** http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/cwi/ **
Marcus Valdes
2004-09-17 15:37:35 UTC
Well, I've got to say I really like Unison. Think I'll just use it for
now. Does everything I need it to do. Sort of like my new iMac!

Marcus
GreyCloud
2004-09-17 17:00:42 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
Hey there,
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
Depends on what you were used to using. If you were used to using OE 6,
then the new Netscape 7.2 is pretty good. I haven't upgraded to 7.2 but
7.1 is very stable and has not given me any troubles at all. I get the
browser, the newsreader, and the mail program in one bundle. Also has
the ability to use a filter. And it's FREE.
--
---------------------------------
The Golden Years Sux.
keith lim
2004-09-17 20:07:09 UTC
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
MacSoup. (http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/) Offline news reader; very
convenient since I'm not always connected to the net. The 'must-have'
feature that made it my choice was its graphical thread view, the tree
diagram. It catches the attention of just about everyone who sees it;
they always want to know what newsreader I'm using. (A few have been
disappointed when they find out that it's available for Mac only.)
--
keith lim ***@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~keithlim/
There are basically two things that are far more common and accessible
on the Windows side of the fence: games and pain. --As the Apple Turns
Wayne Stuart
2004-09-17 23:46:23 UTC
Post by keith lim
Post by Marcus I. Valdes
I'm in the process of moving to a G5 iMac. Which newsreader do you
guys use so I can keep posting?
MacSoup. (http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/) Offline news reader; very
convenient since I'm not always connected to the net. The 'must-have'
feature that made it my choice was its graphical thread view, the tree
diagram. It catches the attention of just about everyone who sees it;
they always want to know what newsreader I'm using. (A few have been
disappointed when they find out that it's available for Mac only.)
Seconded. Downsides are that it is rather un-Maclike in its operation,
with little in the way of on-screen buttons. Learning the keyboard
shortcuts is a must.

Plus, it does not have, nor interface with OSX's, spell checker.

And it's a text based newsreader only, so binaries and HTML messages are
out of the question. But that shouldn't an issue, should it?

Oh yes, and it's time limited shareware, whereas MT-Newswatcher is
freeware, so you'll have to figure out if you can put up with its
shortcomings enough to warrent paying for it. As you may have noticed,
I did! :-)
This message was brought to you by Wayne Stuart - Have a nice day!
Kenneth Himschoot
2004-11-24 09:19:24 UTC
Post by Wayne Stuart
Post by keith lim
[...]